PERFORM AND READ CHOLESTRAK TOTAL CHOLESTEROL TEST
For directions in PDF click here
PREPARING FOR BLOOD SAMPLE
IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT HOW TO PRICK YOUR FINGER, CALL THE CHOLESTRAK® HELP LINE AT 1-800-749-9910.
- Read all directions carefully before you prick your finger.
- Keep Test Device at Room Temperature (below 86 °F or 30 °C).
- Open Foil Pouch only when you are ready to use.
- First wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water before you obtain the blood sample. Rinse and dry your hands completely before beginning the test.
- Sit down and relax for about 5 minutes. During this time, rub your hands to warm them.
- Select your "middle" or "ring finger". This finger should be warm and callus-free.
- TO INCREASE BLOOD FLOW, LET THE ARM OF YOUR SELECTED FINGER HANG DOWN AT YOUR SIDE FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS. If you are right-handed, draw blood from your left hand. (Reverse if left-handed.)
- NEVER USE A FINGER STICK DEVICE THAT HAS BEEN USED BY ANOTHER PERSON.
- Do not pull the side tab until completing the steps under the section "Adding Blood to the Well" below.
DRAWING BLOOD SAMPLE
- Twist and remove the protective stem from the sterile needle.
- Lay selected hand, palm up, on a flat table surface.
- Apply white end (with hole) against the side of your finger and press firmly until device activates (click). It may take some force. You may feel a slight sting. Remove the stick device after the puncture.
- With the gauze pad, wipe away the first sign of blood. Blood may not appear until you squeeze your finger.
- Before adding blood to the Blood Well, with your finger pointing down, let your arm hang at your side for 10 seconds to increase blood flow.
ADDING BLOOD TO THE WELL
YOU MUST ADD ENOUGH BLOOD TO COVER THE BLACK FILL CIRCLE WITHIN 3 MINUTES OF PRICKING YOUR FINGER.
- Point your finger down directly over the blood well as shown here to the right. Squeeze your finger from the base to the puncture several times (using milking action from the base of the finger). Squeeze and release your fingertip a few times to form a hanging blood drop. Let the drop of blood fall to the bottom of the test device Blood Well.
- IF THE BLACK FILL CIRCLE IS STILL VISIBLE, CONTINUE ADDING BLOOD. REPEAT FINGER WARMING TO INCREASE BLOOD FLOW.
- Do not worry about adding too much blood.
- Once the black fill circle is covered with blood, TAP CASSETTE DEVICE 3 TIMES to facilitate the test.
- NOW USE YOUR CLOCK OR TIMER.
WAIT AT LEAST 3 MINUTES BUT NO MORE THAN 4 MINUTES BEFORE PULLING TAB.
- Apply the bandage to your finger while waiting.
PULL TAB - TAP DEVICE - READ RESULT
- After waiting 3 minutes, hold the test device firmly in your hand. Pull the clear plastic tab on the right side of the test device until you can see the entire arrow. PULL FIRMLY! The tab should lock in position. Do not push back.
- TAP THE TEST DEVICE 3 TIMES, then SET IT on the top of table or flat surface.
- The "OK" indicator turns blue/purple in about 5 minutes.
- The "END" indicator turns green in about 10-12 minutes.
- After both indicators change color, read test result under bright light within 15 minutes.