Perform and Read CholesTrak® HDL Cholesterol Test
For directions in PDF click here
- Read all directions before starting this test.
- This is a single use disposable test.
- Do not open pouch until you are ready to start.
- Do not pull the side tab until you have completed the steps under the section Adding Blood to Blood Well listed below.
- Do not perform the test within four hours of taking 500 mg or more of Vitamin C or a standard dose of Acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol). These medications may cause a low reading.
- Do not use if you are a hemophiliac or taking medicines that thins blood (anticoagulants).
- Do not use the fingerstick device (lancet) until you are ready to draw blood. The fingstick device is one time use only.
- You will need a clock or a timer.
Preparation for Testing
- If you are unsure about how to prick your finger, call the CholesTrak® Help Line.
- Wash hands with warm water and dry them.
- Sit down and rub your hands together vigorously to warm them.
- Open up the pouch and place contents on a table or other flat surface. If any part of the test device content is broken or opened, do not use the kit. Throw away the desiccant (drying) packet.
- Once opened, use within 30 minutes.
- Check that the area within the measurement scale of the test device is off-white. If green or yellow, call the CholesTrak® Help Line.
Drawing Blood Sample
- Select your middle or ring finger. This finger should be warm and callus-free.
- Twist off green protective stem from the sterile needle.
- Lay selected hand, palm up, on a flat table surface.
- Hold the fingerstick in your other hand (right) and pierce your finger. Do not pull your finger away, you may not get enough blood.
- Take the gauze pad and wipe away the first sign of blood. Blood may not appear until you squeeze your finger (using a milking action from the base of the finger toward the tip.)
- Let your arm hang at your side for 10 seconds to increase blood flow.
Adding Blood to the Blood Well
- YOU MUST ADD ENOUGH BLOOD WITHIN 3 MINUTES OF PRICKING YOUR FINGER TO COVER THE BLACK FILL CIRCLE.
- To form a hanging blood drop, squeeze your finger from the base to the puncture several times with a milking action.
- Point your finger down directly over the blood well and drop the blood into the well.
- Do not wipe or scrape blood across the well.
- Do not worry about adding too much blood.
- Fill up the well until the black fill circle is no longer visible.
- Tap the cassette device on a flat table surface 3 times to facilitate the test.
- Once the well is filled, set your clock or timer.
WAIT AT LEAST 3 MINUTES BEFORE PULLING THE TAB
- Apply the bandage to your finger while waiting.
- After waiting 3 minutes, hold the test device firmly in your hand and pull firmly on the clear plastic tab (on the right side of the test). Pull until you can see the entire arrow.
- Tap test device on a flat table surface 3 times.
- The "OK" indicator turns blue/purple in about 5 minutes.
- The "END" indicator turns green in about 12 minutes. Now the test is finished.
- Be sure to read the test result after both indicators have changed color.